The best DIY face mask recipes to try at home
BY NIAMH KIRK
Over the past year, face masks have become a must-have for any beauty lover. From brightening to moisturising to exfoliation, they leave your face feeling beautifully refreshed. All these gorgeous products can add up though, so with a little help from Marie Claire, here's some of the best DIY facemasks you can try at home! Give your face a little TLC from nowhere better than your kitchen.
Cocoa Dream Hydration Mask
There are three ingredients in this mask and they make it EDIBLE!! Even better.
They all work wonders in different ways. Avocado is extremely hydrating, cocoa is an excellent skin-soothing antioxidant, and honey is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
1. Mash one quarter of an avocado in a small bowl.
2. Stir in one tablespoon cocoa powder and one tablespoon honey, mashing and mixing well.
3. Apply the mask to your clean, dry skin for 10 minutes.
4. Wash off with warm water, then moisturize as per usual.
Nourishing Honey Mask
"Honey is a natural antibacterial, which makes it a perfect base for acne-fighting masks," says Lily Kunin, the creator of Clean Food Dirty City. "Nutritional yeast is also excellent for treating acne, as its rich in B-vitamins that help calm the skin barrier, especially if you're breaking out around your period."
All you need for this one is:
Chamomile Tea Bag
Manuka or Raw Honey
1. Brew one cup of chamomile tea with two tea bags and let cool completely.
2. In a tiny bowl, stir together one tablespoon of Manuka or raw honey, and one teaspoon of nutritional yeast.
3. Add just enough chamomile tea to the bowl to create a thicker paste that's still runny enough to spread across your skin, but not too watery.
4. Apply a thin layer to your face and let sit for 20 minutes.
Organic Bananas Mask
This tropical face mask will give your skin such a healthy, natural-looking glow, and it's also designed to be gentle enough on all skin types so perfect for everyone. It’s great if you have left over bananas that are too far gone to eat.
For this one all you need is:
Half of a Banana
1. Mash one-half of a banana in a bowl.
2. Mix in a tablespoon of orange juice and a tablespoon of honey.
3. Apply the mask to your face (lumps are totally fine!) and keep the mixture on for 15 minutes.
4. Rinse with lukewarm water and then moisturize.
The Breakfast Mask
This breakfast-themed mask helps calm and mattify oily skin, thanks to its mix of soothing oatmeal and tightening egg yolks which work deep into your skin with lots of benefits.
For this one you need:
1 Egg Yolk
Olive Oil (yes, Olive Oil)
Half Cup Oatmeal
1. Combine one egg yolk, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of olive oil with half a cup of oatmeal.
2. Stir well, then apply it to your face for 15-20 minutes.
3. Rinse with lukewarm water (make sure your drain is cool with oatmeal!) and then moisturize.
Honey Citrus Mask
This honey- and orange-based mask is the best quick fix to give dull skin a bright, pretty glow when you need a bit of a boost. With only two ingredients this one is super easy to make.
For this one you need:
1. Combine three tablespoons of orange juice with a quarter-cup of honey.
2. Rub the mixture lightly over your face and then leave it on for 15 minutes.
3. Rinse with lukewarm water and, as always, follow with a moisturiser.